The repair of cassette & tape decks is complex process. These machines consist of electronic parts and modules, also a mechanical once. Both needs to be serviced. The most common problems in electronics are the old capacitors and ICs. All of the capacitors need to be replaced with good ones for best final results. After that the machine must be calibrated again with reference test tapes and precise measurement equipment. Sometimes this procedure is not so easy and require disassemble all of the units.
The mechanics need new belts and new pinch rollers. Sometimes the motors need to be replaced, too. The cost of these new (NOS) parts is not too small. For example a replacement belt kit for Nakamichi Dragon is $80 to $90. Good capacitor kits for these decks is also the same price.
You can see some photos of the test equipment of the laboratory. We use precise test and measurement equipment, also test tapes to ensure for the good final results – laboratory test equipment.
Prices for service varies, but the cost per hour is about €10 to €14 and depends on complexity. You can see some original invoices from Nakamichi. The prices from the firs one is in GBP (England), the second one is based in Germany (prices are based on euro).
As you can see, the labour charge from the first invoice is about 360GBP, which is about €450. The same charge from the second invoice is €168. These cassette decks are extremely old, so in most cases we need to change all electrolytic capacitors, all orange caps. The mechanism need to be fully take to pieces, cleaning and lubricating and rebuilding again. These actions depends on the complexity of the machine and takes about 25 hours (for the Nakamichi Dragon) to 40 hours for complex machines (for example Nakamichi ZXL1000, Hitachi D3300, D5500, Aiwa 6900, Euming FL-1000, Alpage AL300, etc.). The labour cost of the LAB2104 is €12 per hour.
Part 1 – rebuild procedure: The lab team can rebuild and repair most of the cassette and tape decks. The repair prices (valid from January, 2016) excluding the price for belt kits and electronic components are listed down. The component kits adds additional cost to the repair procedure:
- Nakamichi Dragon: €180 plus additional cost for rollers, belts and capacitors;
- Nakamichi CR-7E/ZX7/ZX9: €120 plus additional cost for belts and capacitors;
- Nakamichi BX300/ZX5 /LX3/LX5 /CR3/CR4/482/582: €95 plus additional cost for belts and capacitors;
- Alpage&Alpine AL300/AL80/AL90/ Dual C844: €149 plus additional cost for belts and capacitors;
- Sony TC-K81, TC-K790ES: €95 plus additional cost for belts and capacitors;
- Hitachi D-3300M, Pioneer CT1250: €210 plus additional cost for belts and capacitors;
- Hitachi D-5500: €250 plus additional cost for belts and capacitors;
- Revox A77/B77: €115 plus additional cost for belts, capacitors and electronic components;
- TEAC 32: €100 plus additional cost for belts, capacitors and electronic components;
- Technics RS-1500,RS-1506, RS-1800: €250 plus additional cost for belts, capacitors and electronic components;
- Akai GX77/620/630/747: €132 plus additional cost for capacitors and electronic components;
- Sony TC-765: €165 plus additional cost for belts, capacitors and electronic components;
- Kenwood KX-1100, Technics RS-B965/RS-B100, Yamaha KX-1200 : €95 plus additional cost for belts, capacitors and electronic components;
- Aiwa AD-F660/770/880: €98 plus additional cost for belts, capacitors and electronic components;
- Tandberg TCD 3014/3004: €101 plus additional cost for belts, capacitors and electronic components;
- other brands & models – please contact us;
Part 2 – pinch rollers and belts: The service belt kits can be found on e-bay. The kits can be delivered by the customer or by the lab team including the extra price for the shipping cost. Some close prices, including the pinch rollers as follows (you can find the kits on e-bay):
- €84.45 for Nakamichi ZX7, Nakamichi CR7, BX300, ZX5, RX303, 480, 481, 582, 670, Dragon;
- €89.45 for Sony TC-K81, TC-KA7, TC-K790ES, etc.;
- €67.85 for Akai GX-747, GX635, etc.;
- €79.45 for Akai GX75, GX95, etc.;
- €145.99 for Rebox A77/B77;
- €95.75 for Tandberg TCD-3014A;
- €212.05 for Technics RS-1500/1506 (two ATHAN pinch rollers with bearings);
- €139.90 for Sony TC-765; Teac X1000, Teac X2000
- for other brands & models, please contact us or search on e-bay;
Part 3 – electronic components: The price for electronic component kits depends on model. You can find some examples for most common decks, like Revox A77/B77, Akai GX620, etc.
- €55.89 for Akai – models GX-635, 636, 620, 625, 630, 230 255 270;
- €89.89 for Revox A77;
- €94.10 for Revox B77;
- €67.50 for Nakamichi (orange cap disease plus electrolytic capacitors);
- €83.25 for Hitachi D3300 & D5500 (electrolytic capacitors plus transistors and ICs);
The final price for servicing is the sum of parts 1 to 3. The re-calibration procedure is included in the “Part 1” process. For example, the final price for full restoration of Nakamichi BX300 will be €95 + €84.45 + €67.50, which is about €247 ($275 or 482 BGL). If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recalibration procedure: If you have good working machine with no electrical and mechanical problems and the only required procedure is to adjust it, then you have to do the re-calibration procedure. The adjustment includes heads tuning (height, tilt, azimuth, etc.), tape speed adjustment, playback and Dolby levels setting, bias settings and recording level settings. This procedure is done using precise test equipment and it cost is €39.99. The procedure does not include other electrical or mechanical interventions to the machine.
Full restoration of specific models: In some cases the old machines needs full restoration including full recap, new good quality belts and pinch rollers and new cleaning and lubrication. We make that in the lab and the cost for some models is fixed (including the quality belts and electronic components). Then the machine is tuned with original test tapes and gets one week test period in the lab. You can find your model as follows (it does not include the shipping cost):
- Tandberg 3014A/3004, Revox B710, B215, A710 – €750;
- Akai GX-F91 – €810;
- Dual C840 – €700;
- Nakamichi Dragon, CR-7, ZX7, ZX9 – €860;
- Hitachi D5500/D550M/D3300M – €830;